Lime Glazed Vegan Sugar Cookies
Ingredients - Cookies
- 1/2 cup vegan butter (earth balance preferred), slightly softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons of light brown sugar (packed)
- 3 tablespoon unsweetened almond milk
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 teaspoons lime zest
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour, divided (correctly measured)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Ingredients - Icing
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (or ½ teaspoon of coconut extract)
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup (can omit, but it makes the icing very shiny)
- 1-2 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, add vegan butter, granulated sugar, and light brown sugar. Using a handheld electric mixer or a stand mixer, cream together until light and fluffy (typically 2-3 minutes on medium speed). Add almond milk, lime juice, and lime zest, then cream together once more just to combine.
- Add all-purpose flour, cornstarch, baking soda, baking powder, and salt to the bowl. Mix together until the flour is evenly incorporated.
- Form the dough into a thick log, press the log tightly together so that there are no air pockets in the cookie dough.
- Wrap the dough in the plastic wrap and refrigerate the dough for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Remove the cookie dough from the refrigerator and unwrap it.
- Using a sharp knife, cut slices off the cookie dough log. Cut the slices 1/4" thick and transfer to baking sheets.
- Bake cookies on the middle rack in the oven, one tray at a time, for 8-10 minutes or until edges are just beginning to brown. Let the cookies cool completely before icing.
Directions - Icing
- Whisk all icing ingredients in a bowl. If it seems too thick, add a little more almond milk. It should be smooth, glossy and not runny. If too runny, add more powdered sugar. You can dip the cookies in the icing, or use brushes, spoons or a squeeze bottle.
- Decorate with sprinkles as desired.